JukeboxTheGhost

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Slippery When Wet

The third time was the charm for New Jersey band Bon Jovi, as their third (and most successful) album was released on this date in 1986. It sold 12 million copies in the U.S. and over 28 million worldwide. It was also named the top selling album of 1987 by Billboard and went 12 times platinum in U.S. sales. Hits include "You Give Love a Bad Name" which topped the Billboard Hot 100 in 1986 and "Livin' on a Prayer" which was #1 on Billboard's Mainstream Rock Tracks chart in 1987. Other hits that didn't quite reach number one include "Wanted Dead or Alive" and "Never Say Goodbye". To commemorate this event, here's a video of "You Give Love a Bad Name" (embedding was disabled for this one so have to settle for a link).

I was lucky enough to get to see this band perform live at the opening of Prudential Center. While I was unable to get video myself, others in the audience were more fortunate than I. Here is an example of what you missed if you weren't there.



This was probably one of the top ten concerts I ever had a privilege to attend. It was truly an experience, one that I will remember for years to come. Jon opened by saying "I am the Jersey Devil and this is my new home," a reference to his Jersey roots. His band is one reason I can say I am proud to be from New Jersey. With 10 studio albums and more to come, it is safe to say that this band will be one for the record books.

Edit: In doing some research I found out Bon Jovi actually has a new album coming out later this year. Here is a sample to pique your interest plus another song mentioned in this blog:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Casimir Effect