JukeboxTheGhost

Thursday, February 18, 2010

EvelynEvelyn Controversy

There has been a lot of backlash in regards to Amanda Palmer's new project: Evelyn Evelyn. Personally I think people take offense by her way too easily, but Amanda seems to like the discussion that has spawned from it (which is something I have always really respected her for). She has written a response to all the commentary on the whole "Evelyn" thing, but I especially like this part here:

as far as people hurling the criticism that i am “hiding behind my art”….(this one has come up several times)

here’s what i consider hiding: producing inoffensive, corporate-penned, vanilla-bean love-story family-friendly made-for-mainstream-radio music that won’t offend a single person. and won’t make anybody laugh, won’t make anybody think, won’t make anybody wonder, won’t make anybody talk, and won’t change anybody’s life.

THAT, my friends, is hiding behind art.


My response, "Right on, girl!" People nowadays seem afraid to take chances. Some of that is a survival thing, which is fine. I get it, everyone's gotta eat, right? Some of it is being afraid to offend anyone or be controversial though, and that, in my opinion, is a shame. I'm not saying you should be controversial for the sake of it, but for the love of God (or whatever deity you believe in) please please please get involved in the conversation. I don't care what it is, just get passionate about something. Create some art, not because it will please everyone, but because it pleases you. And if it offends some people that's ok. Maybe that means it was worth it. Because it got people thinking. And thinking is good. We should do it more often. Who knows, the world might be a better place for it.

This is getting way off course so I'm just gonna end it by saying that whether you love her or hate her, Amanda got you thinking. More than that, she got you talking. That makes her a good thing, in my book. Keep doing what you do, and love the haters. (It's what Amanda would want).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Casimir Effect

Blog Archive