JukeboxTheGhost

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Blockbuster vs Netflix

I track this blog daily, and I know some of you find me via Twitter, which just adds to my ever-growing love for the thing. If any of you follow Whedonesque, you will likely recognize this post from them today.

The Thursday Quote - Topher:"I'm obsolete. This must be what old people feel like.. and Blockbuster. "

After which you probably laughed and thought "It's funny cause it's true." And in my case decided it warranted a blog post about how Netflix changed the movie rental business. You see, Blockbuster was great for its time, but I find more and more people are using Netflix now. The one good thing I can say about Blockbuster was you could rent as many movies as you wanted at one time and my family shared one card. If you want to rent enough movies at once to have an all-night marathon, then Netflix might not be for you. That is not normal consumption though. Normally you want to rent one or two movies at once, which works with Netflix. And if you want to do this process frequently enough, paying a monthly fee becomes a lot cheaper than renting all those movies individually. Add the "instant watching" feature and you have got yourself a great deal. That last point especially made my switch to Netflix money well-spent. I realize Blockbuster also has an online component now, but I compared the two and still found Netflix to be better. Sorry Blockbuster, but Topher was right - you are obsolete.

2 comments:

  1. This is a really interesting post. I like the way the author has written the post. This is really appreciable and this will attract a lot of traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you come to the conclusion that NFLX is better tham BBI since they are offering the same pricing models. Only that BBI has Blue-Ray without any extra charge.

    ReplyDelete

Casimir Effect