JukeboxTheGhost

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Jukebox the Ghost Light Themselves On Fire At Bowery Ballroom

Last night Miniature Tigers, Jukebox the Ghost, and Free Energy played to an incredibly packed Bowery Ballroom. Miniature Tigers were the opener, and they succeeded in warming up the crowd for the main event with their unique beats. Next was Jukebox the Ghost, who played the best set I have ever seen from them since my first performance of theirs at Knitting Factory (back when it was still on Leonard St). They played a good mix of old and new tunes, with a cover thrown in the middle. They began with Static and ended with Good Day (which seems to be their classic final piece). The cover I mentioned was Donna Lewis "I Love You Always Forever", which they gave a fresh feeling to that made the song their own. They also played the classics "Hold It In" and "Victoria" (among others) and some new stuff as well. It was announced that the band has signed with Yep Rock Records and the new album will be released early September. For all the latest news be sure to follow the band on their Myspace, Facebook, and Twitter. I also recently discovered their last.fm page, which elicited possibly a little too much excitement. For me, it showed how big these guys are getting and the bright future they have ahead. After the show, I told Ben about that possibly being the best set ever and how I wasn't just saying that because of a bias I have for the band. One of the other things I love about them (besides their music) is ever since that day we talked after the Union Square show I have been able to talk to some of the members (and those surrounding them) at every show I have been to. (Note: I have been to almost every show they have played in NYC since that first time I heard them). This isn't about being crowned #1 Fan though. This is to try to share something special I found out there in the music world. Don't want to take my word for it? Then find out for yourself. The next date in the area is July 13th at 92Y (which would make it a smaller show than the Bowery one). Although this date has not been posted on the website, it was announced at the show last night. (Anyone affiliated with the band can feel free to correct me if I heard this wrong).

Going back to last night's show, the final act for the night was Free Energy. This was the only band I had never heard before, but they definitely lived up to their name. There was plenty of energy from both the stage and the audience. It was a great end to what I would describe as a lively and energetic night. I've never walked away from a show feeling both energized and exhausted before, but that was what happened last night. I wonder if that's how the bands who perform feel as well? Anyone who wants to provide an answer to that one can either leave a comment or email me at munchkin275@hotmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Casimir Effect