JukeboxTheGhost

Monday, October 25, 2010

Kids of 88 - Sugarpills Album Review

 Kids of 88's album Sugarpills opens with electronic beats that tell you immediately this is going to be more of an upbeat dance album. In taking a closer listen, I found a lot of the songs seemed to focus on getting pleasure from different things, usually with another person involved. This is seen from a number of different angles, from the song "Everybody Knows," which is about sado-masochism (although the boys have said they themselves are not into those sorts of things) to the more wholesome-seeming track "San Fran," which paints a picture of happiness in a "Full House" type setting. Then there is the song "Downtown," in which the singer says he wants to get dressed up, go downtown, and have a good time. The song paints a picture of a person going to a club or bar and making a night of it, both with the lyrics and backing music. The album as a whole is short in length (about 37 minutes total) and goes by rather quickly. I enjoyed it immensely, however. If you are looking to dance but don't like generic club beats, this album is for you.

Authors note: When listening to this album I struggled to find the words to convey what I thought the band was like. I eventually settled on new wave/electronic. After listening to the album I checked their website to see how they described themselves, and was pleased that our descriptions matched exactly. I guess I found the words after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Casimir Effect