JukeboxTheGhost

Monday, October 25, 2010

Live Review/An Open Letter to Muse

There are lots of really great things I have to say (and have said before) about the band Muse. I have seen them twice now, and they put on very good performance that involve lots of technical pieces, including great lighting/effects and a very good use of the entire stage. To date, they are one of my favorite live acts, mostly because I think their music is great and they do an excellent job converting that into a live show. I do have one complaint though that I would like to address at this time.

*ahem*

Dear Muse,

I love you and your music, but something needs to change if we're going to keep seeing each other. I have seen you perform live twice now, and both times have been very good (the first time in Boston will always be the best for me). There is one thing that bothers me though, and it comes with a story. My first technical experience of one of your live shows was the recording of the HAARP performance. This album has always been my favorite for two reasons: 1) it has most of my favorite songs up till the point it was released, and 2) it is one of the best live recordings I have heard of any band. I love every song on the album, but one of my favorite moments is when you start playing "Invincible". I have seen you live and in person twice now, and both times you have not included this song in your set list. I understand that you have too many songs to play all of them and that you can't try to please everyone, but I believe this is one of your greatest songs and should be a staple in your repertoire. I doubt anyone would be disappointed to hear this song played live, just as I'm equally sure that many people are disappointed when it is not included. I always try to predict the encore of any show I go to (especially when I love a band's music as much as I do yours),  and I have to say I was very disappointed I didn't get the chance to hear this song live for myself. Would you please please please consider adding this song to your line-up for future performances? It would be especially nice if it were added the next time you play the NY/NJ area, since that is where I'm from. I (and many other fans, I'm sure) would really appreciate it.

Thank you, and good night.

PS - it really was a great show (besides my one complaint mentioned). You were, are, and always will be one of my favorite live acts. Just do this one little thing and we'll be good.

Thanks!

Love,
A Passionate Fan

Back to you, wonderful reader... assuming you actually are still reading. I took a lot of great pictures from this show that I will try to post sometime tomorrow. Also, in case you have no idea what I was just rambling about and why I care so much, check out this video of the song in question.

No really, go. I'll wait...

See what I mean?

But enough about the one song they didn't play. Let's move on to what was included.

Set List:
Uprising
Map of the Problimatique
New Born
Supermassive Black Hole
The Resistance
Hysteria
Citizen Erased
United States of Eurasia
Feeling Good
Undisclosed Desires
Time Is Running Out
Starlight
Plug In Baby

Encore:
Exogenesis Symphony
Stockholm Syndrome
Knights of Cydonia

Follow-up: One thing I do appreciate is that they have a good balance of old and new material here. In fact, it makes me very happy that "Feeling Good" and "New Born" still make the cut after all this time. I just wish I could hear Invincible once live before I die...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Casimir Effect