JukeboxTheGhost

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Suicide is Painless

The theme to the hit tv series M*A*S*H* was a piece of music called "Suicide is Painless". While suicide may relieve the pain and suffering of those who commit said act, it does the opposite for those left behind. Not only do the friends and family grieve the loss of a loved one, they also have to deal with feelings of guilt over what, if anything, they could have done to prevent this tragedy from happening. Recently we have had not one, but five reported cases of young teens who were bullied to the point where death looked like the only way to find peace. One such loss would be sad enough, but five cases is a tragedy. I normally try to keep my portion of the internet focused on the good in the world, but too much has happened for me to keep silent. I just can't help but wonder if these kids knew that help was available to them. Two support groups that immediately came to mind at the news of these events were two non-profits I have supported for some time now: To Write Love On Her Arms and The Trevor Project. In case you have not heard of them, I will take some time now to explain a little of what they are about.

To Write Love On Her Arms (TWLOHA) is a non-profit based in Florida that deals with suicide awareness and prevention. Their mission statement says it better than I ever could:

To Write Love on Her Arms is a non-profit movement dedicated to presenting hope and finding help for people struggling with depression, addiction, self-injury and suicide.  TWLOHA exists to encourage, inform, inspire and also to invest directly into treatment and recovery.

This all started with one struggling girl who needed help. It eventually spread to become a movement to help many others out there who have nowhere else to turn. The group tours the country, spreading their message of hope to those who are willing to listen. I was able to attend one of these events in New York City, and it changed my life forever. Now, I'm not struggling with depression or anything that serious, but it still was uplifting hearing their message all the same. No matter who you are our what your story is (and we all have a story) it is good to know that there is Light in a world full of Darkness. That is what TWLOHA is all about: shining a light for those who need it most.

The Trevor Project is another crisis hotline, but they focus on youth dealing with LGBTQ issues. This is especially relevant since the recent suicides were all teens dealing with such issues. I know homosexuality and gender issues are both touchy subjects in today's society, but they are issues that need to be addressed. Actually, they shouldn't be issues at all - and that's the problem. I'm not saying you have to agree with the lifestyle. I understand why it is hard for some to accept. All I'm saying is don't think it gives you justification of treating people as if they're not even human. These kids were bullied for being different, and it cost them their lives. I don't care if you don't approve of the choices these kids have made, that does not give you the right to treat them in such a cruel manner. If my opinions offend any of my readers, then so be it. This issue is too important for me to keep silent any longer. My only hope in the light of recent events is that it opens the eyes of the world and helps to keep similar tragedies from happening in the future. I am pleased that certain celebrities have been speaking out on the issue, but more has got to be done to stop this from happening again. People need to start taking responsibility for their actions and realize that what they say and do has more power than they can possibly realize. Actions have consequences, and there are no do-overs in life. And with that, I'm going to get off my soapbox and point you towards those who can help pull other troubled teens from the edge and find them peace in a world full of suffering.

More information on the groups I have mentioned can be found in several places online.

TWLOHA:
website - http://www.twloha.com/
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/towriteloveonherarms
MySpace - http://www.myspace.com/towriteloveonherarms
Twitter - http://twitter.com/twloha
street team - http://towriteloveonherarms.fancorps.com/

The Trevor Project:
website - http://www.thetrevorproject.org/
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/TheTrevorProject
Twitter - https://twitter.com/TrevorProject

No comments:

Post a Comment

Casimir Effect