JukeboxTheGhost

Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009: The Live Album

RXP asked its listeners to report their top 9 concerts of 2009, and I thought I would share them here as well.

1) Snow Patrol @ Beacon Theatre- This was without a doubt my favorite live experience with a band this year. The funny thing about this is that it was the only one on this list that I didn't go with anyone else. Normally it is the whole experience of going to see your favorite band perform live with a friend singing by your side that makes a concert special, but that just goes to show how great a performance they gave. I hardly noticed I couldn't find anyone who loved them enough to say "money is no object" and trek out to see them on a Tuesday night. I also really loved the venue they were at. It was a really nice place with a good atmosphere. I would definitely go back there if the right band was playing. One of my favorite moments from that night was this:



2) Green Day @ MSG- This was another great experience for me. "21st Century Breakdown" was the soundtrack of my summer, and it came to a climax getting to see these guys live (finally) at Madison Square Garden. What made it extra special was getting to see it with one of my best friends. Words still can't describe the utter joy this night brought to my life, but this video shares my favorite moment of that night:



3) Mates of State @ Webster Hall - The word "experience" pretty much sums up every story I have to share here. I had a mild obsession with Mates of State, and was extremely agitated that I was unable to see them live. That was until my favorite concert partner surprised me by announcing that he had been guest listed for the show and had a +1 if I wanted to come with. Of course I said yes, and thus memories were born, including this one:



4) Switchfoot @ Irving Plaza - I have been meaning to see these guys perform for about two years now, but it was only recently that I was able to make this happen. I happened to mention the show offhand to one of my friends and he became so incredibly excited that I knew we had to go together. It was a great night, and they are fantastic live. It's hard to say what was my favorite song that night, but this definitely is on the list:



5) Amanda Palmer @ Highline Ballroom - It is ironic that one of my favorite moments came during one of the hardest times of my life (and the low point of my year). Despite that, I still had one of the best nights of my life. It was such an uplifting experience that it was hard to stay down for long. The night was an emotional rollercoaster. The most fun was had when the opening act got back on stage to help sing a cover of Yakity Yak:



6) Kevin Devine @ Music Hall Of Williamsburg - Kevin played for two hours in this epically good night. If there was a song he didn't play, I don't think anyone noticed. Not only is Kevin a great singer, he is overall a great performer. Even the banter during his shows becomes part of the performance, as seen here:



7) Amanda Palmer @ Music Hall of Williamsburg - I know, I already mentioned how great AFP is, but she is so epically AMAZING that she deserves a separate entry for both times I saw her this year. This one was a surprise birthday present from one of my best friends. That alone made it special. It was also great getting to experience Amanda on a night where I was in a much better place emotionally. Highlight of the night? Right here:



8) Handsome Furs @ Bowery Ballroom - Love this band, and it's always great to see them live. The first time was just me tagging along with a friend who needed someone to go with. Now I love them just as much as she does. Here's one reason why:



9) Jukebox the Ghost @ Bowery Ballroom (CMJ) - This was one of the only bands I actually saw during CMJ this year, but they were all I really needed. Every band that night was good, but I was really here to see these guys work their magic. The stage was decorated in a holiday motif, the fans were packed in and beaming with excitement. I met two really cool people at this show who I still talk to online and plan to (hopefully) see again at some point. Unfortunately the only video I can find is from CMJ last year, but it's still pretty good.



*all videos found on YouTube and were not taken by yours truly. have to give credit where credit is due*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Casimir Effect